Monday 3 July 2017

Purple Lady




Big City
Busy Street
People catching buses

Sit down
Wait for bus
Next to purple lady

Busy busy
Coming and going
Lady unmoving, staring

Odd smell
Is it me?
Hope not

There again
This time stronger
Sweet but unclean

Purple lady
hands unsettled
Mumbles under breathe

I look at her

I look

I notice

Short hair once highlighted
Clothes seem neat
Like for traveling

She wears a zipped up purple jacket
Neat and tidy over black pants
Cowboy boots underneath


Clean complexion
In her 30’s
Rather pretty except


Staring vacantly
Waiting for the night
Alone and withdrawn


She is not catching a bus

Should I offer to help?
Last few times
I received fear and anger


I hesitate


Bus arrives and I am whisked away.


A few days later
Walking in the crowd
Face marked with dirt and a white smear


Clothes are the same but
Dirty and unkempt
Grey white t-shirt hanging out raggedly

The days have been unkind

She is washed away
River of people
Lost in the crowd.

I am filled with sadness, loss 
Feel ashamed.

Published: Uneven Floor: Purple Lady

1 comment: